The Q&A Archives: Unknown Orange Flower

Question: My mother gave me many packets of seeds to plant. Unfortunately, I am unable to find the empty envelops. I have "something" growing but do not know what it is. Here goes:
It is upright- at least 6 foot tall and growing.
The leaves are in a similar shape as a cucumber with 7 veins on each leaf- But the leaves are soft and almost a little furry.
There are small orange colored flowers and there are more than one one flower on a plant.
Do you think it is a sunflower (although the other sunflowers I have seen have very rough leaves)? The stalk itself is firm and sturdy. And in trying to remove a leaf from the stalk, it seemed to peel down- like a really fat string on a celery stalk.

Answer: I think you may be describing an annual flower called Tithonia rotundifolia, also called Mexican sunflower or golden-flower-of-the-Incas.