The Q&A Archives: Winter flowering sweet peas in Zone 5

Question: I have two packs of Burpee annual sweet pea seeds. The packages say "winter flowering mix, early multiflora
gigantea". The planting instructions tell you to plant late fall to early spring in areas with colder winters. I livein Zone 5 (southern NH) -- can I use the seeds to brighten up my dreary late fall/winter flower boxes? The boxes are on a deck receiving full sun year round.

Answer: These sweet peas bloom and grow best when the days are short and the weather is cool. Where winter temperatures are mild, the seeds can be sown in August or early September for late December or January bloom. In your gardening area, it will be too cold for them to perform during the winter months but you can sow early in February, or earlier if the ground can be worked, and the plants will bloom during the cool spring days.

Instead of sweetpeas to brighten your flower boxes, why not grow ornamental kale or chrysanthemums?