The Q&A Archives: Identify Bean

Question: Can you please identify a bean growing wild in my front garden? It has clusters of round leaves with yellow flowers growing from under the stems. There are skinny bean pods about 3 inches long growing from the wilted flowers.

Answer: You're describing something from the Leguminosae (Pea) family, but it's difficult to positively identify it without actually seeing it. If you didn't plant it, I'd be inclined to believe it was a weed and suggest you pull it out. Since plants are identified by their flowers and this one is flowering, why not take a sample to your local Extension office to see if they can identify it for you? Contact U of Georgia Cooperative Extension, PO Box 1001, Perry 31069. Phone (912) 987-2028. I'm sure they can help you.