The Q&A Archives: Round Green Spiked Balls on Moon Plant

Question: What are these round green balls that appear to have sharp needle looking spikes covering them? My moon plant has blossomed once since purchased this year and then these 2-1" or maybe larger balls appeared.

Answer: Your Ipomoea (Moonflower) has developed two seed pods. If you had removed the spent flowers, your vine would probably have continued to produce new flowers. But, when seedpods are allowed to develop, the plant usually puts all of its energy into producing seeds instead of additional flowers. I'd leave the seedpods alone until they mature, then harvest the seeds and plant them next year. As your Moonflower blossoms begin to lose their petals, cut them off the plant to encourage additional flowers.