The Q&A Archives: Fast Growing Hedges Safe to Plant Near Water Mains

Question: Are there any quickly growing trees that I can plant close to water main lines? My problem is the property line runs right along side the water line, and I need find some kind of quickly growing tree (tall) or hedge that I can use as a privacy screen,(we have already put up a fence but of course that's not tall enough nor is it attractive enough). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Dori Bolen Hollister, CA

Answer: If you want a hedge to block out a neighbor, then there are many possibilities such as eugenia, photinia, boxwood and growing ivy on your fence. I'd go to a local nursery and talk with them about your site and the possible shrubs/vines that would do well. There's a nice nursery in Salinas I believe called Grabels, that should be able to help.