The Q&A Archives: Grass Seed Died

Question: In April we put a new house out in the country. We have lots of dirt around the new foundation and I tried to plant grass around the house. It came up but then died no matter how much I watered it. It was 100 + degrees for 3 weeks after I planted it. Did I plant at the wrong time or what happened?

Answer: In all likelihood it was just too hot. Lawn grasses germinate best in cooler weather such as early spring or fall. Your soil preparation and watering methods as well as the grass type are all critical in getting a good lawn as quickly as possible. You might wish to contact your County Extension (284-6930) for suggestions as to the best varieties and timing in your local area, as well as help with running some basic soil tests and interpreting the results in terms of establishing a lawn in your type of soil. If you start now you can have your soil ready for seeding this fall. Finally, you might find the book "Lawn Care for Dummies" by Lance Walheim ISBN 0-7645-5077 helpful as you get the lawn established and begin trying to maintain it.