The Q&A Archives: Artemesia Silver Mound

Question: This summer we have planted Artemesia Silver Mound plants. The sparrows have been pulling off large pieces of these soft plants, most likely to line their nests with. Is there any un-sightly and humane way to discourage the birds from ruining our plants? Thanks!

Answer: I have never experienced this problem myself, but here are some suggestions: cover the plants with wire mesh which would visually blend into the foliage, string numerous lengths of fishing line just above the foliage in order to confuse their sense of distance (this would be virtually invisible), and check the plants very carefully for signs of insects in case the birds are actually taking home their supper. Good luck with your plants!