The Q&A Archives: Wisteria Blooming

Question: A friend told me that wisteria will bloom in early spring before the leaves leaf out. However, I have a wisteria that is blooming right now (mid summer) with all the leaves formed. Is this unusual? Do I just have a different wisteria variety?

Answer: There are three types of commonly grown wisteria; Japanese (Wisteria floribunda), Chinese (Wisteria sinensis), and Silky (Wisteria venusta). Japanese and Silky wisteria bloom after the leaves expand, and Chinese wisteria blooms before the leaves expand. You probably have the Japanese variety (unless the leaflets have silky hairs on them), and it's blooming a little late. Wisteria bloom best when planted in full sunshine, and pruned in late winter to encourage the production of new flowering wood.