The Q&A Archives: Jasmine Propagation

Question: Can I root Jasmine vine? If so what time of year and do I use a root or part of the vine?

Answer: You can propagate a Jasmine by taking a semi-ripe cutting in late summer or early autumn, and keeping it at about 60F in a covered pot. Semi-ripe cuttings are from the current season's growth. Take a side-shoot and pull it away from the main stem, along with a small heel of main stem material. Trim the base of the cutting to neaten the heal, remove the lower leaves, and dip the cut end in rooting hormone. Tap off the excess, then place the cutting in a pot of moistened sand. Put three sticks into the pot along the sides, opposite of each other to form a frame. Then drape plastic wrap over the sticks to make a small greenhouse enclosure. The cutting should root in a few weeks. Good luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by Whitebeard and is called "variegated impatiens"