The Q&A Archives: Chinese Lanterns Not Forming

Question: I had trouble getting my Chinese lanterns started but now have had them going pretty good. My question is they don't seem to be making many lanterns. Is there a trick to making them form lanterns? They are healthy looking and blooming but a lot of the blooms don't form lanterns and I can only find a couple on the entire mass of plants. Thanks for your help. I love this service.

Answer: The papery husks of the Chinese Lantern form around the seeds to protect them. If the blossoms on your plant were not fertilized, no seeds will form and no papery husks will develop. Try to encourage insects to visit your garden (and pollinate the flowers!) by having lots of different colors and shapes of flowers growing in your garden.