The Q&A Archives: over use of bone meal and blood meal

Question: I have the most beautiful and biggest elephant ears in town...thanks mainly to blood meal, bone meal, organic matter and improved water drainage. Would it be a waste of money to add a box of bone meal/ blood meal to the bed as I put it to sleep with a variety of composted materials and then repeat the mixture in the spring....or should I just use the meals in the spring??????....I use a 5lb box of each. At this time I am not planning to plant spring bulbs in this bed....but if I do I would of course add the meals, right?

Answer: In general it is a good idea to keep improving your soil by adding organic matter and any needed amendments, but the answer to your question depends on the soil itself. The only way to know for sure if adding more would help is to run some basic soil tests. (Surprisingly, more is not always better.) Your County Extension (795-3563) should be able to help you with the tests and interpreting the results. Good luck with your bulbs!