The Q&A Archives: Searching For The "Sensitivity Plant"

Question: Actually, I'm not sure I checked the correct category because I don't know enough about this plant.

I'm looking for a plant that when you touch it, the leaves and branches move. I used to see it in stores packaged as "Ticklish Tim" or the "sensitivity plant," but I don't know it's real name. I wanted to start some plants for my son's second grade class, so I'm interested in finding seeds.

Really would appreciate any help you can give me.

Catherine Tanski

Answer: Mimosa pudica is the Sensitive Plant, or Humble Plant, so named because the plant folds up its leaves when touched or exposed to a flame. The plant requires a medium light
exposure, an evenly moist soil, and temperatures between 60
and 85 degrees. Propagation is generally by seed. Use caution when handling seedlings as the plant dislikes root disturbance. Mimosa may be difficult to grow and is sensitive to overwatering. Seeds of this plant are available from Cyberseeds, PO Box 171102, San Antonio, TX 78217-1102.