The Q&A Archives: Germinating Gerber Daisy Indoors

Question: I would like to grow gerber daisies. Our growing season is short and I'm considering starting them inside. Will I have any success? Kathy Matli Flagstaff, AZ

Answer: It is important to use fresh seed. Start 12 weeks before planting out. Sow seed on the surface of the media (use a soilless media) and press into the media. Water from the bottom and let drain. Cover the flat/pot with a plastic bag. Keep at 70-75 degrees F. and provide light Fluorescent lights work well or bright indirect light. Strong sunlight will cook the young seedlings. Germination will take place in 15-30 days. Be patient. When you see germination, remove the plastic bag. Transplant in late spring when the soil is quite warm. Space the plants 12-18" apart in either full sun or part shade where summers are very hot. They prefer a rich, moist, fertile, and slightly acid soil. Water regularly, particularly during hot weather. Fertilize lightlyevery 6 weeks during the growing season and keep flowers deadheaded.