The Q&A Archives: Rose Tree Shoots

Question: I have had a rose tree for two years and this year it started to give shoot from the roots and only gave me one flower and the leave are very small. I have noticed that now the top of the tree is turning yellow and brown, but the shoots are still nice and green but haven't given me any flowers. Do I cut all the shoots? or count this tree rose out. We have had a very dry summer this year.

Answer: Rose trees are usually grafted. It sounds like the root stock is sending up suckers. These will be more vigorous (and totally different from) than the grafted top and will overwhelm it, so they should be removed. Remove them right at the root as soon as they appear. It is also possible that the graft has failed. If the top of the tree has died completely so that there is no green wood left then I would, as you said, count this one out.