The Q&A Archives: Slimy Bugs On Pear Tree

Question: Last year I planted a 2' Luscious pear tree. This year it is 6' tall. I thought it was doing really well, but I spotted some slimy, snail-like (without hard shells) critters on the leaves. They are between 1/8 and 1/2 inch long. Do you know what they are and how to get rid of them? I don't think they are slugs as they are dark colored. Thanks!

Answer: Sounds like the perfect description of the pear slug. It's the larvae of a sawfly and the critters are generally found on cherry and pear tree leaves. Because they appear late in the season, there's usually no control necessary. They will eat holes in the leaves, but the leaves will fall from the tree in about a month, so no permanent damage will be done to your tree. Rake the fallen leaves and remove them from the garden at the end of the season.