The Q&A Archives: Aloe Vera

Question: I intend to start aloe vera cultivation on a large scale. Please let me know where I can find aloe vera seeds in large quantities. 1/2LBS or so. Also need information on aloe vera cultivation(like soil, various insects/ diseases that can affect aloe plants and precautions to be taken along with soil and climatic effects.

Answer: Aloe vera is native to South Africa, and quite susceptible to frost. Therefore it is not a good candidate for growing in your Connecticut garden. If, however, you plan to grow the plants in a greenhouse, they will need bright light and well-draining soil. Aloes should be watered infrequently but deeply. There are no particular pests or diseases associated with the plants; their biggest enemy is poorly draining soil which results in root rot. You can purchase quantities of seed from Cyberseeds, PO Box 171102, San Antonio, TX 78217-1102.