The Q&A Archives: Reasons for Browning Rosemary Leaves

Question: My rosemary plants seem to be growing well but they also appear to be suffering from some ailment. The bottom leaves are turning brown and this seems to work its way up the stem. The tops of these stems appear to be growing well. Eric Perakslis Tewksbury, MA

Answer: If you got your rosemary to stay alive indoors all winter, it would be a shame to lose it now! They like bright light, moist, but not wet roots and need to be kept cool and misted a few times during the week. Perhaps you overwatered them, or let them dry out? Also spider mites love rosemary, so check for any webbing around the leaves and spray with insecticidal soap it you suspect mites. I'd prune off the dead branches, mist it regularly and even consider repotting if nothing else works. Hopefully, it will stay alive for a few months longer until summer.