The Q&A Archives: Reference Books for Beginning Gardeners

Question: I want to plant a small 10' by 20' area for a first time garden. Can you refer me to a good reference book to purchase or give me some general advice? What grows well in my area? I would like to try tomatoes, pole beans and squash. How do I preparethe area and when can I plant items? Maybe there are some other web sites to help also. Thanks. Kathy Kelley Atlanta, GA

Answer: You can grow lots of vegetables in Atlanta. Instead of getting into the basics here try getting a book that will give general gardening information that you can apply to your specific growing problems. Go into your local bookstore and find a book that doesn't look intimidating. There is a new Gardening Book called "Gardening for DUMMIES" you can look for.