The Q&A Archives: Ice Plant Not Growing

Question: I planted the sprigs of iceplant from my backyard, to my front yard slope. I used soil amendments and water 2 times each day. Its been about 3 weeks but the plants about
30% have turned straw colored. Any advice?

Answer: I'll bet you're overwatering the new plants! Ice plant has succulent leaves and the plants will grow under the most arid conditions. In order to force rooting of the sprigs you'll need to stress the plants a bit. Hold back on watering, providing a soaking only once each week. You may want to try rooting some fresh cuttings, taking a length of vigorously growing stem from a healthy plant and pulling off the lower leaves. Allow the cutting to callous over for a few hours to a full day (outdoors in a place protected from sunlight). Then plant the cuttings in moistened soil, making sure that at least one leaf scar is below the surface (this is where roots will form). Shade your cuttings from hot afternoon sunshine until they take root and begin to produce new leaves. Cuttings of this type generally root faster when taken in the spring, but you can still attempt to root cuttings now. Good luck!