The Q&A Archives: Tips for Planting Potato Seeds

Question: I just received some potato "seeds" from Burpee and I'm not sure how to go about it. Where I live, the ground is not even manageable for another month but the insert says I should put them out now (when received). They don't look like regular potatoes; last year I planted fingerlings and they were whole potatoes that I had to let develop eyes; do I do the same here or what? I'm in zone 5. Thanks. Veronica James Aurora, IL

Answer: Your particular zone is probably a little colder than the charts. Store the potatoes in a cool dark place until the frost is out of the ground. Don't worry about the eyes developing, they will but slowly in the cool room. By May you should be able to plant outside as long as the soil is workable.