The Q&A Archives: Angel Trumpets

Question: I purchased an orange angel trumpet plant it is approximately 4 foot high and has flowered twice. I read that the plant must be moved indoors over winter in this climate. What do I do to keep this plant?

Answer: I assume your plant is in a pot. Move it gradually into shadier locations over a period of several weeks to begin acclimating it to the lower light levels it will experience indoors. Check it very carefully for insects before you bring it indoors. Once indoors, set it in the brightest location you have. Reduce watering and fertilizing as the plant's growth slows with the season. In spring, do the reverse to gradually acclimate it to the sunlight again. This plant tends to grow so large that many gardeners will overwinter cuttings rather than the whole plant.