The Q&A Archives: Controlling Fungal Disease on Tomato

Question: For the past several years my tomato plants have suffered and then died from what I have been told is a fungal disease. Starting from the bottom and working its way up the plant the leaves turn yell and then brown and eventually the plant dies. I have heard this is in the ground and I did a thorough clean up last fall. Is there anything I can do to help prevent this problem? Also what varieties of tomatoes are the most disease resistant? I am planning on starting my tomatoes from seeds this year and I what to know what seeds to order. Thank you. Deirdre Crofton Rochester, NY

Answer: It sounds like Early blight, late blight or septoria leaf spot. All are fungal diseases affecting the leaves and spreading throughout the plant. Mulch the tomatoes well in spring to prevent the soil from splashing on to the leaves. Remove spotted lowerleaves as soon as you can, keep the plants healthy and spray the plants with a copper solution early if it seems like it's spreading out of control.