The Q&A Archives: Identify Variegated Plant

Question: 2 foot plant/blooms in August/ plant has varigated smooth green and white leaf/ leaf has smooth edges and resembles that of a pepper plant or basil plant/ The blossom is like that of the old fashioned white spirea of the 50's/ I see this plant only in fall when for years I admire it along driveways and I feel certain it is a type or prennial as I see it in the same locations year after year/ It is hardy to Indiana/

Answer: I think you may be describing "snow-on-the-mountain" or Euphorbia marginata. This is a North American native and grows from seed each year. If allowed, it will self sow from year to year in one spot giving the impression that it is a perennial. It makes a spectacular show over a long period of time in August. Be careful in handling this plant as many people are allergic to the sap.