The Q&A Archives: Weed With White Trumpet Flower

Question: I was driving down the road recently and saw what apears to be a wildflower of some sort. The leaves look sort of like a maple tree and it had bell shaped flowers which were white and light purple around the edges.Some were tall as high as a foot and some were just babies, I dug a few out and put them in my flower garden, do you think they were from a seed or bulb, and and are they a perennial? I thought at first it was a moon flower but it isn't a vine, it's up-right and strong. And I wonder who planted them. Please advise if you can.

Answer: It sounds as though you may have found a variety of datura, possibly jimson weed or another wild growing member of the nightshade family. More information is available at the following webpage(s): Please be careful with this plant as it is quite poisonous.