The Q&A Archives: What is plumgranny?

Question: A lady I work with gave us all what she called a "plumgranny". They smell like peaches. They grow on a vine like a pumpkin. Can you eat them? What is their use?

Answer: I have found several Appalachian references to plumgranny as a bastardized form of pomegranate (punica) but since that plant is a tree or shrub it can't be this one. I wonder if you have a Queen Anne's Pocket Melon (Cucunis dudaim native to Persia) which was used as a perfumed sachet of sorts -- ladies carried them in their pockets to ward off foul odors. The fruit is small, variegated with green and orange and oblong green spots, ripens yellow and finally turns white. According to Maude Grieves "Modern Herbal", it has a "very fragrant, vinous, musky smell, and a whitish, flaccid, insipid pulp". Could this be it?