The Q&A Archives: Dying Lawn, Too much crab grass

Question: i don't know how to help my lawn, it seems to be all crab grass and weeds. I have seeded and watered, I am a devoted gardener, but the lawn is my weakness, I have no clue how to hepl it. Please help!!!!

Answer: In many cases the key to a good lawn is based in a number of factors including soil preparation, variety of seed planted, and watering and mowing practices -- and the secret to success is doing things at the right time. You might want to look at a basic book on lawn care to get you started. One I particularly like is "Lawn Care for Dummies" by Lance Walheim ISBN 0-7645-5077-2. You might also want to work with your County Extension (454-0900) for help with the soil tests, interpreting the results and selecting the grass varieties best suited to your local soil and conditions. Good luck with your lawn -- fall is a great time to work on it!