The Q&A Archives: Strange Fungus

Question: I have an offwhite color fungus that looks like the texture of small curd cottage cheese that appears overnight and has
covered the base of an old rose bush twice, and now is creeping up a star pine tree across the patio.

I have recently installed a birdfeeder in the area... is that why? Or is it overwatering? It scrapes off easily and disolves (airy texture)

What should I do to save my tree and eliminate the fungus or mold.?

Answer: Welcome to the wonderful world of slime molds! These goopy fungi (Myxomycetes) live on dead organic matter and thrive in moist conditions. You can rake it out and dump it in the trash; especially in the early stages before it spreads its spores. Increasing the air circulation and allowing the soil to dry out will help eliminate the stuff. To help stop the growth of slime mold, water early in the morning to allow the grass to dry before nightfall, and try raking any thatch on the soil surface to help expose it to air and sunlight. Slime molds are perfectly harmless - just revolting to look at!

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Coreopsis"