The Q&A Archives: Mini Roses

Question: I recently got a pot of mini roses and they don't seem to be growing very well. The buds wouldn't grow. They just turn brown and fall off. The leaves are slowly turning yellow. What should I be doing?

Answer: Based on your description there are several possible problems I would suspect. The plant may simply be protesting the move and be in shock. This could be combined with several factors. Be sure you are watering the rose thoroughly and that the water is not simply running out between the soil and the side of the pot. After watering, pour any excess out of the saucer. The soil should be moist butnbot soaking wet. Next, take a close look at the stems and leaves for insects or webs. I think your plant may have spider mites which can be treated by washing it with a strong burst of water every day or by applying insecticidal soap according to the label instructions. When you do this be sure to reach the undersides of the leaves. Next, the buds may be failing because of an insect such as thrips. Insecticidal soap may also be effective on these. In the meantime, remove and destroy any browned or dead plant debris. Keep your rose in a brightly sunny spot, fertilize it regularly with a water soluble fertilizer according to the label instructions, and trim off the blooms as they fade. Good luck with your rose!