The Q&A Archives: Resources for West Texas Gardeners

Question: I live in west Texas where temperatures are very erratic in early spring (March and early April) but start warming up quickly (some days may get to 80's while nights are in 40's). When should I be planting such vegetables as cabbage, lettuce, potatoes, tomatoes, peas, corn? How late can I plant these? To follow up with more corn, cantelopes, cuccumbers, squash and beans, what is the best rotation or successive planting schedule I should use? I have yet to find any vegetable gardening books specific to west Texas. Summers get quite hot, 90's, while nights can cool down to 60's in summer. Strong winds in early to mid spring tend to dry plants. I have a drip irrigation but it is still hard to keep soil at right moisture. I don't know what to mulch with. What is best all around fertilizer content to use, 10-10-10 or 5-10-10? Thanks for your help. Alan Bohling Midland, TX

Answer: It sounds like you need a good reference book for your garden. Try Sam Cotner's "Vegetable Book" It's written by a Texan, for Texas and it should give you all the information you need. Check the local library or bookstore for this book. Also try Texas A