The Q&A Archives: Landscape Edging

Question: I am curious as to the benefits and drawbacks of the different types of product used to separate turf from garden areas. (ie Wood bender board vs. plastic vs. metal, etc.

Answer: The basic points/variables would have to include local availability, initial cost including installation, utility (eg how long they last, degree of frost heaving) and of course looks. Depending on your requirements the best solution will be pretty clear -- I think cost is most often the deciding factor. Keep in mind, too, that an edging is not strictly necessary because the planting areas can be "edged" by hand with a small sharp spade or edger tool for a very attractive looking separation line or a band of herbicide can be used to keep grass from encroaching.