The Q&A Archives: Eggplant Leaves Poisonous?

Question: I've heard that the stems and leaves of eggplants are poisonous. If they are poisonous, are they poisonous enough to harm a dog or small child?

Answer: I have not seen eggplant leaves listed as poisonous. However, eggplants are members of the nightshade family, Solanaceae. Many members of this family contain chemicals called alkaloids. These are bitter-tasting compounds, some of which have been used as medicinals--and some as poisons. I am not aware of eggplant leaves containing any particularly potent alkaloids, but it would be wise not to consume them. (If the leaves do contain alkaloids, they probably taste quite bitter and unpleasant.)

If someone has accidentally ingested the leaves, I would call a poison control center immediately, to ask their advice.

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "sunset on summer"