The Q&A Archives: Wisteria Support

Question: I have a three-year old wisteria and want to provide proper support for it as it grows. I understand that it needs a sturdy support. What do you recommend? Trellis? If so want dimensions and how should vine be attached to it?

Answer: Although you can trim the tips of the vine if you are vigilant, a mature plant can easily be 30 feet long and as it ages the woody trunk is capable of twisting a flimsy support. The vine will twine and wind itself around almost anything. The key is that it be extremely sturdy because a mature vine can be as thick as a man's arm and will be woody and very heavy. Stout wooden pillars or a firmly footed brick support leading to a heavy duty top of perhaps 2 x 6 boards or heavy iron pipe might be strong enough.