The Q&A Archives: Moss In Vegetable Garden

Question: I have just moved into a brand-new home and am planting my very first garden. The soil has been bull-dozed practically into cement, and is very clay-ey. I have created some raised beds with compost and manure, and put in a drip system. It has been about a week and a half since I planted my seeds for the garden, and now I am noticing a green moss forming on the surface of the garden. What is causing it, and how can I take care of it?

Answer: If moss is growing, or you have a green algae bloom on the surface of your soil, it's too moist and drainage may be poor. While plant roots appreciate moisture, the soil needs to dry out a bit between waterings or you'll eliminate oxygen (and the roots will drown). Reduce watering to allow the soil to dry out a bit and the moss or algae should disappear.