The Q&A Archives: Mushrooms Everywhere!

Question: Help! We have several large planted beds(annuals,pennenials, etc) on our lawn. They are (recently) heavily mulched with hi quality mulch obtained from a nursery. Overnight, every night, literally dozens and dozens of mushrooms pop out. Big ones - some six to 8" in diameter and 8-10" high. I assume they are not edible. I pull them out every morning and dispose of them. The roots are very shallow- almost on the surface. Is there something I can do now to get rid of them permanently? Doesn't seem to matter if it's wet or dry. They came up when nothing else did during the drought.

Answer: The mushrooms in and of themselves are not a bad thing; they are a part of the normal process of decay which occurs with organic materials such as natural mulch as theyt breaks down.

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Sempervivum Henry Carrevon"