The Q&A Archives: balcony yarrow

Question: Will yarrow do well in containers? I have a south-facing, 13th floor balcony in New York city and am trying to find some hardy perrenials that will do well in containers and stand the summer sun and winter chill. I was considering trying some yarrow in 5 gallon buckets.

Answer: Yarrow is a very resiliant plant and I think it would probably do well for you as might coreopsis, black eyed Susans, small daylilies, dwarf bulb lilies, and purple coneflowers as well as some of the Mediterranean herbs. Your two main challenges will be keeping them from drying out during the summer and keeping the roots insulated during the winter, so you may have to experiment some. For detailed pointers on container gardening such as this, you may find the book "Container Gardening for Dummies" by Bill Marken ISBN 0-7645-5057-8 useful.