The Q&A Archives: Green Moss In Lawn

Question: Green moss throughout the lawn/grass. What do I do to eliminate moss? What causes moss to grow? The lawn is not heavily shaded by trees, etc.

Answer: In many cases moss will grow because there is a soil problem such as it is compacted, is poorly drained, or is very acidic. These conditions will also weaken the grass. The best way to eliminate it is to run some basic soil tests and improve your soil based on the results. You may also need to aerate your soil or take measures to improve the drainage pattern. For some straightforward advice on how to analyze the condition of both the soil and your lawn and take steps to improve them you might like to take a look at a basic book about lawn care. One I particularly like because it is straightforward is "Lawn Care for Dummies" by Lance Walheim ISBN 0-7645-5077. You might also contact your County Extension (350-2540) for help with the soil testing and interpreting the results as well as recommendations for the best types of lawn grass variety to grow in your local area.