The Q&A Archives: Winter Color

Question: I live in Oregon and during the winter months it gets cold and rainy. I'm starting my first garden of flowers and I want to know what I can plant that is easy, pretty and that will last during the cold and rainy season?

Answer: There are very few flowers that will provide color in your garden year around. Most perennials rest during the winter season, but some shrubs will produce blooms in late winter. Grow Daphne odora and heather for February color in your garden. You can also plant chrysanthemums for fall color and pansies for winter color. This fall you can plant spring flowering bulbs for early season blooms to help fight the winter doldrums. Try planting grape hyacinths, tulips and Dutch iris for early spring color. Hope the above suggestions will help provide off-season bloom in your garden.