The Q&A Archives: Info On Yellow Bells or Esperanza

Question: I am looking for info concerning a 4-5 foot plant with yellow, tubular flowers named either Esperonsa, yellow bells, or Tacoma stan. This plant is probably a perennial in San Antonio, but dies back in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. I am curious as to the latin as well as the common name.

Answer: Tecoma stans, commonly known as Esperanza and Yellow Bells, is a native to the southwestern parts of the state. It is hardy south of IH-10 but may return from the base of the plant if mulched well a bit further north than IH-10. Nevertheless, it is well worth growing as an annual in more northern parts of the state. It blooms well through the hottest Texas summers and is quite beautiful. One impoved variety too look for in Texas nurseries is called 'Gold Star' Esperanza. It begins blooming earlier than the standard, native type.