The Q&A Archives: Low Groundcover for Slopes

Question: I live near the coast of NC and we recently purchased a home with a flow-ditch in the front yard. The ditch is rather steep and I cannot mow it by myself, and my husband calls me "a mad woman with a weed-whipper". So that is out of the question. Whatcan I plant there that will look beautiful that is a low ground cover that will assist with the erosion due to sandy soil? This is our first home, and I really want our yard to look wonderful all year long. I need all the suggestions I can get in every area! Thank you. Colleen Francis Hubert, NC

Answer: Try the following: Aegopodium (goutweed-this dies back in the fall), Ajuga (bugleweed-there are some pretty hybrids), English Ivy, or Mahonia (a broad-leaved evergreen shrub). All of these like a rich, moist soil and full sun. Since you have sandy soil, you may have to work in some organic matter. If you like, seed some crownvetch in the area. Once extablished it grows to 1-2 feet tall, has purple flowers in summer and spreads quickly protecting the soil and looking nice.