The Q&A Archives: Source for Japanese Cucumber

Question: While working in Pearl Harbor, HI, I became acquainted with Japanese cucumbers. They are probably the most tasty and enjoyable "cuke" I have ever eaten. They're about 10 inches long, and probably the diameter of a fifty cent piece. Dark green and tiny seeds. Do you offer such a product in your catalog? Or is there an equivalent in your catalog? In talking to a local farmer in Hawaii, he indicated the variety was "Japanese Cucumber #69". I would certainly like to get my gardening fingers on some of those seeds and plant them in Pennsylvania. It is a spectacular veggie! Jack Ganse Lancaster, PA

Answer: The Oriental cucucmbers are delicious and widely available. Burpee carries one called 'Palace King' in their catalog. The grow best on trellises so they stay straight. Other than that, grow them like regular cucumbers.