The Q&A Archives: Honeysuckle Vines

Question: My yard is full of honeysuckle vines and they are choking out all of my trees and bushes. Help! How do I get rid of these vines? I have tried cutting them out, but they keep coming back! I'm at my wits end!!! PLEASE HELP !!!

Answer: Escaped honeysuckle is difficult to control. Repeatedly cutting it back will help to weaken it, but it won't kill it. You can try digging it out and then smothering any remaining roots with a layer of cardboard topped with a thick layer of mulch -- this can take a very long time. You might also consider using an herbicide such as glyphosate in spot applications. Be sure to follow the label instructions very carefully as it is a nonselective herbicide. Be on the lookout for new plants each spring, too, because it spreads by seed as well as by scrambling.