The Q&A Archives: Red Bumps on Red Maple Leaves

Question: This past spring I noticed red bumps on the red maple trees' leaves. I though they might be eggs. They never hatched. They simply turned black. The maple tree in the yard next to mine is loaded with these red, now black bumps. What are they and is there a way I can get rid of them next spring??

Answer: Maples are subject to many foliar problems, some of which are serious and some of which are not. Unfortunately based on your description I can't make a definite diagnosis. You might wish to take a sample to your local County Extension for a specific identification of the problem and the most up to date recommended controls (if any are needed). The number in Ocean County is 349-1247. Good luck with your tree!