The Q&A Archives: Ornamental Lilies

Question: Do ornamental lilies need to be dug up each year and replanted in the spring? I have several that I planted this year, and wasn't sure what to do.

Answer: Lilies have three basic cultural requirements: deep, loose, well-drained soil, ample moisture year round (plants never completely stop growing); coolness and shade at the roots, and sun or filtered shade at the tops where flowers form.

After the tops yellow and die, cut the foliage down to ground level. New leaves will form in the spring. You can add a layer of mulch over the plants during the winter months but gently rake it back in the spring before new leaves sprout. Eventually your lilies will form clumps which can be divided during the dormant season.

Lilies are wonderfully easy to grow!