The Q&A Archives: Cotoneaster Berry Shrubs

Question: I planted two Cotoneaster dammeri Coral Beauty
shrubs this year. I noticed a couple of days ago they don't have any berries yet. Is this abnormal, or do they produce berries later in the season?

Answer: Among the dammeri cotoneasters Coral Beauty (also sometimes called Royal Beauty or Pink Beauty) is considered an excellent fruiter and is named for its fruits however in comparison to some of the other cotoneasters the bearberry cotoneasters (Cotoneaster dammeri) as a group are not considered to be heavy fruiters. In any case, your shrubs should produce coral red pomes and these should be evident by late summer to early fall. You might find that they were pruned earlier in the season and thus the flower buds or berries removed or that they were stressed during the sales and transplanting process and dropped their berries early. With any luck perhaps you will see some next year!