The Q&A Archives: planting plans

Question: Can you provide me planting plans the will provide me color from spring to end of fall? Ideally I would have plans that would outline what to plant and when so that I will have blooms month after month.

Answer: There is a nearly infinite variety of plants you could use to achieve your goals, but the best choices depend on your site, the microclimate, the amount of sun it recieves and the type of soil you have -- and what appeals to you! For the longest range of color annuals are the best bet, but they need to be replanted every year. Perennials can provide color all season but each type will usually only bloom for a few weeks each time so you need to select a progressive combination. Many gardeners mix the two along with flowering bulbs to achieve excellent results. There are several books you may find useful. Some of my favorites -- these include extensive lists as well as actual plans -- are "Annuals for Dummies" by Bill Marken ISBN 0-7645-5056-X, "Perennials for Dummies" by MArcia Tatroe ISBN 0-7645-5030-6 and "Rodales Illustrated Encyclopedia of Perennials" by Ellen Phillips and C.Colston Burrell ISBN 0-87596-570-9. Enjoy your project!