The Q&A Archives: Seeding Sod

Question: I have recently sodded my front lawn, and due to the hot weather, have lost 40% of it. Is it possible to seed sod?

Answer: By "seeding sod" I am not sure exactly what you mean, but it is certainly possible to start a lawn from seed. You might however wish to take a careful look first at why the sod failed. Sometimes it is a question of moisture and heat, sometimes a matter of insufficient rolling, but other times it can be that the soil beneath was not prepared right or is inadequate to support grass for one reason or another -- perhaps too compacted or poorly drained or an inhospitable pH or some similar condition exists. If there is a soil problem even reseeding grass seed will not really help. You might wish to consult with you County Extension (566-0673) as to the best varieties of grass to plant in your area, and you might also want to take a look at a basic book about establishing and caring for lawns. One I particularly like because it is very straightforward is "Lawn Care for Dummies" by Lance Walheim ISBN 0-7645-5077-2.