The Q&A Archives: Lawn Moths

Question: I have a million moths in my lawn. They are the kind that are attracted to lights. So, when my door is opened at night, they fly into my house. I am afraid they will infest my wool clothing. How can I get rid of them?

Answer: The moths you describe are probably adults of the commonly encountered sod webworm. These moths have erratic flight, move freely over lawn areas at dusk, and are attracted to light. These lawn moths are not the same kinds of moths that feed on wool, so you shouldn't be too concerned about their flying indoors. Unless your lawn shows damage, you don't need to eradicate the sod webworms. Insecticides registered for control of the pests are only affective against the larvae, not the flying adults.