The Q&A Archives: Angel Trumpet Care

Question: I purchased an Angel Trumpet this spring. I was told it was an outdoor plant in this area. I planted it in my yard,it keeps getting taller but hasn't bloomed and only has leaves at the top. I've never owned one of these but thought it was a beautiful. Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Answer: Brugmansia or Angel's Trumpet loves a well drained soil with plenty of organic matter. It is not too picky about pH, but I would suggest avoiding very acid or very alkaline conditions. These plants are cold tender and will freeze to the ground most winters. They usually return the following spring if you mulch the base of the plant well. Give your Brugmansia full sun, although it will tolerate some partial shade. Keep it well watered with a good soaking every 5 days or so. Fertilize it when growth begins in the spring and every 4 weeks through early August with a complete fertilizer.