The Q&A Archives: cucumber seeds

Question: I heard there is a cucumber seed out called country fair,a non wilting vine. I was wondering if you heard of the seed and the name of the supplier that sells it.Thanks,this web page is very helpful for us part time gardeners.Thanks again.

Answer: I believe the County Fair (as opposed to country) variety was at one time carried by Park seeds but no longer. (Here is what they had to say about it at their web site as an explanation.) If you are having wilt problems with your cucumbers you need to look for resistant varieties and you also need to rotate your plantings from year to year. Burpee ( carries many disease tolerant or resistant types, and Johnny's Selected Seeds ( lists them by individual tolerance including wilt. Your County Extension (736-3394) may also be able to suggest varieties that are especially suited to your local area.