The Q&A Archives: Cyclamen Rebloom

Question: My once gorgeous cyclamen bloomed like crazy for several months when I got it nearly three years ago. It hasn't bloomed since. The leaves are still green, though not nearly as huge as they were when I got it. Aren't they supposed to go dormant? Is it waiting for a prompt from me? If you answer yes, please let me know for how long, when to re-plant it, and when and if I can ever expect it to flower again. Frankly it's not that pretty of a house plant to keep and tend for years with no other benefits than scraggly leaves. Thank you.

Answer: Don't toss your cyclamen until you've made a few adjustments in its environment! The usual causes for failure to bloom include too much warmth, incorrect watering and dry air. Here are the basic requirements and growing guidelines for indoor cyclamen:

Provide cool temperatures (50F-60F is ideal), and bright light, but out of direct sunlight. A north-facing windowsill is the best place. Keep the potting soil moist at all times, and immerse the pot in water every few week to drive out any air pockets. Set the pot on a tray filled with pebbles to which you've added water, or increase the humidity around the plant by misting daily. Feed every 3-4 weeks during the growing season with a dilute solution of liquid fertilizer. After the plant has finished flowering, (usually late winter), reduce watering and stop feeding. Place the pot on its side in a cool spot and keep it dry until midsummer. Then repot using fresh potting soil and burying the tuber to half its depth. Stand the pot in a cool, well-lit spot and water to keep the potting soil moist. Your cyclamen should reward you with winter bloom next year.

Following the above care suggestions should produce an abundance of flowers!